Migas is the ultimate Mexican breakfast comfort food! Crispy tortillas, eggs, and tons of flavor from the tomato and onion. So Good! It is my pleasure to teach you how to make this easy tortilla and egg dish, so let’s get cracking! (pun intended😁)
What Are Migas?
Migas are a beloved Mexican breakfast. The Spanish word “Migas” translates to “crumbs”. This dish originated in Spain, then traveled to Mexico and beyond. Today there are many variations of this dish.
Traditionally, migas are made with leftover tortillas from the previous meal. The tortillas were too hardened to use again, so instead, they are cut into pieces, fried in oil, then scrambled with eggs. It’s so simple, but nothing short of amazing!
Tortillas: White corn tortillas work best for this recipe, in my opinion, but you are welcome to try it with yellow corn, or flour tortillas. Just make sure to adjust the heat and cooking time. Flour tortillas brown faster!
Oil: I use canola oil for this recipe because it has a neutral flavor and a high smoke point. If you use an alternative oil, reduce the heat. You may also have to cook the tortillas longer.
Onion: Yellow or white onion works well for this dish. You only need a quarter of the onion. If you love onion, then use more to taste🙂.
Tomato: Use a Roma or Vine ripe tomato, and don’t forget to remove the seeds.
Salt: Kosher salt is best for cooking in my opinion.
How to Make Migas With Onion and Tomato
Cut tortillas into triangles, squares, or strips. Chop onions and tomatoes. Crack eggs into a bowl, add salt to taste, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in oil.
Add the tortilla pieces to the hot oil. Cook them until crispy and golden brown ( about 7 minutes ), stirring continuously to avoid burning them. Transfer the tortillas to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat to low and add in the onions. Cook for about a minute( stirring constantly) then add the tomato. Cook for another few seconds.
Add in the eggs and cook for a couple of minutes, then add the crispy tortillas. Stir to combine and finish cooking.
Serve immediately as is or add your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
How To Serve Migas
In Mexico, this breakfast is usually served as a complete meal or with a side of beans, AKA Frijoles de la olla, and avocado slices. Fresh fruit or a smoothie is also a great accompaniment.
If you want to recreate the Tex-Mex style migas, they are usually loaded with toppings, such as:
- Cilantro and red onions
- Sour cream
- Queso Fresco, Cotija, cheddar, or Monterey jack cheese
- Avocado Slices or guacamole
- Fresh or pickled jalapeños
- Chorizo or bacon
If you’ve never had Migas before, you need to make them A.S.A.P! 😉. I hope you love them as much as I do.
Until the next one!
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Snap a picture of the recipe you made and tag me @mariasblisscorner with the hashtag #mariasblisscorner. Thank you!
- 8 corn tortillas
- ¼ cup canola oil +more if needed
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 1 Roma tomato chopped
- 6 eggs
- salt to taste
- Cut tortillas into triangles or squares. Chop onions and tomatoes. Crack eggs into a bowl, add salt to taste, and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in oil and heat through.
- Add the tortilla pieces to the hot oil. Cook them until crispy and golden brown ( about 7 minutes ), stirring continuously to avoid burning them. Transfer the fried tortillas to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and add in the onions. Cook for about a minute(stirring constantly) then add the tomato. Cook for a few more seconds.
- Add in the eggs and cook for a couple of minutes. Then add the tortillas back in and mix to combine and finish cooking.
- Serve immediately as is or with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!