It’s light, refreshing, and very pretty! The Paloma cocktail is a favorite in Mexico and in many places across the states. Its name translates to “The Dove.” In Mexico, the drink is prepared using grapefruit soda and tequila.
Many of the sodas made in Mexico never cross the border, so here in the states, we recreate this popular drink using grapefruit juice, lime juice, simple syrup, and mineral water to replace the soda. This is my take on the Paloma cocktail.
Ingredients For A Paloma Cocktail
- Grapefruit juice: Freshly squeezed grapefruit juice will give you the best results.
- Good silver tequila: I used Olmeca Altos® Tequila
- Fresh lime juice: When buying limes, look for the ones that have a soft shiny rind. They tend to be juicier and easier to squeeze.
- Simple syrup: You can use store-bought or homemade
- Kosher salt: For coating the rim of the glass.
- Citrus soda or mineral water: I personally prefer citrus soda, but mineral water is a good substitute.
- Ice: We want it to be super icy cold and refreshing!
How to Make a Paloma Cocktail
Start by juicing one ruby red grapefruit and half of a lime into separate containers. If you want to garnish your drink, I suggest you reserve the garnish before juicing. Use some of the lime juice to coat the rim of a glass, then dip it in kosher salt.
Pour 3 oz. grapefruit juice, 1 oz. lime juice, 1 oz. simple syrup and 2 oz. tequila into a cocktail shaker. I don’t recommend adding ice to the shaker because it could dilute the mix. Instead, fill your glass with ice and pour the drink over the ice.
Top it off with mineral water and garnish (if you choose to do so). Pair it with some delicious beef and zucchini tacos and you have the perfect light Mexican meal!
Please drink responsibly and enjoy! Till the next one,
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Snap a picture of the recipe you made and tag me @mariasblisscorner with the hashtag #mariasblisscorner. Thank you!
- Cocktail Shaker
- Citrus Juicer
- 3 oz. fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 oz. good silver tequila
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. simple syrup
- Kosher salt
- Citrus soda or mineral water
- Coat the glass rim with lime juice then dip it in kosher salt, set aside.
- Pour fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, lime juice, simple syrup and tequila into a drink shaker and give it a few shakes.
- Add ice to the glass then pour the drink over the ice. Top with citrus soda or mineral water. Garnish and enjoy!