When it comes to any gourd, I can eat it plainly roasted, but dressing them up is just as amazing! The beauty of cooking with gourds is that they are so versatile and complement sweet and savory dishes alike. My Spaghetti squash with creamy Tuscan chicken recipe will have you swooning over gourds…like I do😋.
What is Spaghetti Squash?
Spaghetti squash is a type of gourd with a shape similar to a football. It is a gorgeous creamy or bright yellow color and easy to spot, but the magic is on the inside. This squash got its name because the “flesh” of the squash breaks apart into strands that resemble pasta. Spaghetti squash is harvested in late summer- early fall. They are in season from early fall- to winter.
How to Roast a Spaghetti Squash
Preheat oven to 425º
Cut spaghetti squash in half(length-wise). Remove the seeds and brush the inside with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then place on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down. Place in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes. Once done, the squash should be fork-tender and easily separates from the outer “skin.”
- Spaghetti squash: choose a small squash weighing about 3-4 Lbs.
- olive oil: plan on using a lot of olive oil as every component of this dish requires it.
- Kosher salt: You may use other salts if desired, but make adjustments because every salt has a different concentration of saltiness.
- Black pepper: Flavor
- Campari tomatoes: Can substitute grape or cherry tomatoes, or any other sweet and juicy tomato you like.
- Shallot: It has a mild and sweeter flavor, compared to yellow and white onions.
- Garlic cloves: If you are crazy about garlic, you can add more, but not less.
- Heavy cream: This is what gives the sauce its creaminess😋
- Parmesan cheese: Adds to the creaminess and gives it that salty tangy cheese flavor.
- Chicken breast: I used 2 small chicken breasts(about 12 oz.) and this equates to 4 servings.
- Dry ground sage: Flavor
- Dry ground thyme: Flavor
- Dry crushed rosemary: Flavor
- Dry oregano: Flavor
- spinach: Adds nutrition and color to the dish. Substitute kale or escarole(endive).
How to Make Creamy Tomato Sauce
Peel garlic cloves, slice the tomatoes and shallot. Then add them to a baking dish, along with olive oil, ½ tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Place in the 425º oven. Roast for 25-30 minutes. Once done, remove from the oven and allow it to cool slightly. Place the roasted tomatoes, garlic, and shallot in a blender and puree until smooth.
Then add the sauce to the skillet with the chicken. Simmer for about 2 minutes on medium-low heat. Then add half of a cup of heavy cream. Stir to combine and add the grated parmesan cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted. Taste the sauce for salt and pepper and add as needed. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can thin it out with water, or chicken broth.
FAQ and Tips
Cherry, plum, super sweet, and grape tomatoes are all suitable substitutes for Campari tomatoes.
Yes! This dish is perfect for meal prep. The spaghetti squash holds its texture well and won’t get mushy.
Using a sweet tomato should eliminate this issue, but there’s still a chance this could occur. My secret weapon to fix acidic tomato sauces is grated carrots. They are sweet and will cut the acidity. Use the small grate so that they practically dissolve into the sauce. Sugar will also fix it. Add 1 tsp at a time.
- For a spicy kick, add half a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the sauce.
- To spare the workload in one day, prep the sauce and spaghetti squash a day in advance.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an air-tight container for up to 4 days.
I hope you try this delicious spaghetti squash recipe. I know it’s a lot of steps so should you have any issues at all please reach out to me and I’ll be glad to help!😊 Reaching me is easiest and fastest via Instagram @mariasbliscorner
Did you make this recipe? Please give it a star rating and leave your thoughts in the comment section below. Snap a picture of the recipe you made and tag me @mariasblisscorner with the hashtag #mariasblisscorner. Thank you!
Spaghetti Squash With Creamy Tuscan Chicken
Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1 lb Campari tomatoes may substitute grape or cherry tomatoes
- 1 shallot
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese + more for garnish
- 2 chicken breast
- 1 Tbsp olive oil + more for cooking
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp dry ground sage
- ¼ tsp dry ground thyme
- ¼ tsp dry crushed rosemary
- ½ tsp dry oregano
- 1 hand full spinach
- Fresh parsley(optional) chopped
- Preheat oven to 425º
- Cut spaghetti squash in half(length-wise). Remove the seeds and brush the inside with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper then place on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down. Place in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes.
- Peel garlic cloves, slice the tomatoes and shallot. Then add them to a baking dish, along with olive oil, ½ tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper. Place in the oven. Roast for 25-30 minutes.
- While the squash and tomatoes are roasting, cut the chicken breast into small bite-size pieces. Place in a large mixing bowl and add olive oil, salt, sage, thyme, rosemary, and oregano. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add about 2 Tbsp of olive oil. Add the chicken pieces to the skillet. Cook until all the pieces are light golden brown and cooked through. About 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes and squash from the oven. Set the squash aside to cool. Place the roasted tomatoes, garlic, and shallot in a blender and puree until smooth. Then add the sauce to the skillet with the chicken. Simmer for about 2 minutes on medium-low heat.
- Then add the heavy cream. Stir to combine and add the grated parmesan cheese. Cook until the cheese is melted. Taste the sauce for salt and pepper and add as needed. If the sauce becomes too thick, you can thin it out with water, or chicken broth. Finally, add a big handful of spinach and stir to combine until the spinach wilts.
- Using a fork, separate the "flesh" of the squash from the outer skin. You can use the squash as serving bowls or transfer them to regular plates or bowls*. Pour the creamy chicken over the spaghetti squash. Grate some more parmesan cheese on top and garnish with fresh chopped parsley(optional).
Leave a Reply