I love a good soup, especially in the chilly months, but honestly sometimes I don’t have the time to simmer a broth all day. Sometimes I just want to throw everything in and get dinner on the table fast. My taco soup recipe does just that! With all the right seasonings it’s the perfect soup for “taco Tuesday” on a cold day.
The Taco Soup Recipe
Although the ingredient list seems long, the only prep work is chopping the onion, mincing the garlic, opening the cans, and rinsing the beans. These are the ingredients you will need.
- 1 lb of ground beef
- Tbsp oil
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 oz. can of diced tomatoes with or without green chiles
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- and 1 cup of corn
- 1 Tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- and salt to taste.
Place a dutch oven or stew pot over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp of oil. Brown the ground beef and chopped onion. Drain the excess fat, then add the minced garlic and spices. Sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the broth, tomatoes, corn, and beans. Stir the soup, cover and simmer on medium low for 20 minutes. That’s it, so quick and easy right? Serve the soup hot with your favorite taco toppings!
You can add almost any topping to this soup. Here is a list of some toppings that I personally love and some I think might be fun to try.
- Sour cream
- Variety of Mexican cheeses, Monterey Jack or Colby Jack
- Chopped onion
- Chopped cabbage
- Jalapeño slices
- Chopped radish
- Pico de gallo
- Avacado sliced or cubed
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Corn chips
I hope you enjoy this quick and easy taco soup recipe and comment below what is your favorite way to top your taco soup.
Till the next one!
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with or without green chiles
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can red kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup yellow corn
- 4 cups chicken broth unsalted
- 1½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cumin ground
- ½ tsp oregano Mexican
- Salt to taste
- toppings such as sour cream, cheese, avacado optional
- Place a dutch oven or stew pot over medium heat and add 1 Tbsp of oil. Brown the ground beef and chopped onion.
- Drain the excess fat, then add the minced garlic and spices. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, corn, and beans. Stir the soup, cover and simmer on medium low for 20 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite taco toppings. Enjoy!